Friday, July 16, 2010

The Journey Begins

I could write a very humorous book about all it took for our family to officially begin our journey West. Despite the lost storage keys, trips to the DMV, power outages, and MULTITUDINOUS trips to a lovely U-HAUL location called "Backyard Treasures," we managed to pull out of Dothan only one day behind our (already-pushed-back-once-by-choice) date.

That last parenthetical note occurred because Jeremiah decided he might want to be in at least one of the girls' rehearsal dinner video pictures--at the beach as a child. And, since Dothan is only an hour and a half from some of the most beautiful beaches on earth....And since they may soon be covered in oil...And since our friends who have been in Vermont doing residency for the past five years invited us...we took one last journey down:

DSC_0703

DSC_0705

DSC_0711

DSC_0714

DSC_0712

Then, after that fun, we began the fiasco of organizing and loading (for the 3,756th time) a trailer. We reached a low point last night, when we realized at around 8pm that it would be pointless to begin our journey at the weary state we'd reached. So, we decided (against our pride and our families' jokes) that we would just start bright and shiny this morning.


We went to bed defeated, but awoke on the farm to something pretty amazing:

DSC_0757

Little Hope, the horse I like to ride at the farm, had her long-anticipated baby boy.

DSC_0751

He was so beautiful and sweet and smart, we could hardly leave--still :)

DSC_0756
And a successful birth felt like just the right way to begin such a life-altering journey.

At 8:30 am on July 15th, we pulled out of the driveway. SIXTEEN hours later--at 12:30 am on the 16th we finally arrived HERE--tucked away in a hotel in Indianapolis, Indiana. We had LOTS of lil' stops and good-byes between Dothan and Nashville, but each one was sweet. The girls were pretty perfect, and we never even had to turn on a DVD player...It can't last long can it :)? This is their first time to ever stay in a hotel--perhaps that's why Jeremiah let us stay somewhere that I'm willing to let my arms make contact with the comforter ;) He normally likes to build my immunities during our hotel adventures.

Besides the fact that we discovered, as dusk settled on us, that the running lights on our U-Haul didn't work...leaving us with no choice but to drive the last 200 miles with our flashers blinking, things are going well. Pray we don't have to wait forever for a repairman to come fix our lights in the morning. Pray even harder that we don't have to UNLOAD AND RELOAD THIS SLAM-JAM-PACKED-FULL TRAILER.

DSC_0744

Still smiling after Day 1. Mainly thankful to have our little family all together...Good-short-night.

9 comments:

andi said...

I can't wait to hear how the rest of the trip goes!!! I am so glad the girls have done so well so far! Praying for your safety as you all drive. :)

Mert said...

Good luck and safe journey!

Darby said...

Oh Abby, I've been praying for y'all! I'm so very glad you arrived safely in Indianapolis.. what a long journey and way to go Pace & Dapples for going DVD player free! Something tells me it will come on somewhere in the flat lands of SD! :) I'm SOOOOO glad you are blogging along the way... I can't wait to read more of your adventures... please keep us all posted!! xoxo

Konie said...

Abby! I'm checking my email for a response from a wedding vendor BUT just HAD to see if you've blogged on your journey to your 1 yr. vacation destination :) WOW...I knew of all the road blocks the last few days but when Ken told me about the baby horse arriving, it definitely made the full picture so clear as to why you couldn't leave on your planned day:)) So glad all is going well and look forward to more travel blogs:)) Give Pace and Mary Aplin lots of hugs and kisses from us:)))) and you and jeremiah too:)

Kendall Clark said...

Abby I am not going to lie when I tell you that I was glad that yall's departure was delayed, it appeased me to know that yall were still in the south and not thousands (which seems like lightyears) away from us in Washington State (which random...but Ned Jenne is the only person I know from there, makes me laugh) anyways.....I am sad now but it won't last for long because I will see yall before I know it and there SHOULD be crossing my fingers some good news when you get back or soon afterwards at least!!!!!! eeeeeeeeeeeee that and THAT alone (apart from the only source of our true strength) gives me strength to wait patientely until yall come back to KeKe! kiss the girls and Jerry for me ;) haha I LOVE YALL TO THE MOON AND BACK!

Gail said...

God Bless, and safe, safe travels. You are heading out and going to love this ride. Just enjoy and give thanks to God for it all! I adore that you had one more fling at the beach! :O) Keep those PIC'sin your mind when it seems like you might want to scream...You are in for a fun, fun life journey and always remember..Man MIGHT make his plans, but it is-- GOD who..directs are paths! Glory be to HIM.... :O)

Lindsey said...

can't believe you posted after that LONG day. hoping you guys (and esp jeremiah) are enjoying the museum today. praying for a safe and FUN rest of the journey!

aedozier said...

The girls' faces are simply priceless! I am impressed with the girls and no DVD. That deserves an award on your and Jeremiah's part. We play "I see something (color)". I always tell her she is right as long as it's the right color. She loves it when I have to keep guessing. I can't imagine that yall didn't already play this. Safe travels!

JJ said...

Abby, I look forward to reading about all your adventures out west! I'll be praying for you guys!