Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Who Is Your Best Friend?

One of the biggest gifts of our trip to the mountains this past weekend, was the 5 plus hours (there AND back) that Jeremiah and I got alone in the car together. You know travelling with babies in the car is a little bit like being locked in a jail cell with chattering monkeys, and I'd almost forgotten that there used to be a time when I actually looked forward to road trips :)

I'd gotten two different books on CD for us to listen to...but we never got farther than a chapter into either of them. Justin gave Jeremiah a CD of songs from some artist he thought we'd both love, but we never listened to more than one song. We talked and listened and talked and sang and talked some more. We got the harmony almost perfected on a song we've been meaning to learn for over a year now...we just needed some concentrated quiet time. It was a gift, an absolute gift.

I like to throw out big random questions, and then watch Jeremiah try to scrounge around for an answer. He always accuses me of getting my answer all prepared before I ask, making him seem slow...but I really don't do that. I just let my mind roam over random topics, until I hit one that seems fun, and then I blurt it out for us both to wrestle with. At least one of these random questions, Jeremiah had a quick, solid answer to, while I couldn't ever seem to settle with myself.

"Who is your best friend, not counting me of course? Because that would certainly be your answer, right? :)"

He answered quickly and then flipped it back to me... ... ...I stared at him blankly as face after face flashed through my mind. Each one conjuring a different feeling of love, or kinship, or thankfulness, or laughter. There were guys and girls. There were best friends from different stages of my life, and one in particular that's hung around through each stage. But that phrase BEST friend, left me speechless. How could I settle on one that was the. best.

"How would you define best?" I asked.

"I don't know...Who would you go to if you needed to talk about us. Like detailed stuff about us."

"That's not going to be a good way to define for me, because I would talk about that stuff to anybody who cared to listen," I said as his face dropped, and I laughed really hard.

"Nothing's sacred," he said as he half laughed and shook his head back and forth.

"Nope ;)"

How would you define your best friend? Is it the person you would call if you were in a jam and needed help? Is it the person that thinks and acts most like you--making it easier to be yourself? Is it the person who knows the most about you--your life, your thoughts, your dreams? Is it the person you talk to the most? Is it the person you would call first when you have exciting news? Or the person you would call first when you'd gotten bad news? Is it the person you spill all your dirty secrets to (which is apparently how Jeremiah defines it :))? Or the one who holds you accountable?

These kinds of questions raced through my mind and each question seemed to lead me to a different face. While some encompassed several of these questions, no one embodied them all...and that thought--that realization that there is not one person, but a host of people that I could reach out to for comfort, or help, or excitement, or accountability--was like a shower of blessings over my head. What kind of love has the Father showered down on me, that my life is filled with truly great friends??!!

"What, exactly, HAVE you said to people about us?" Jeremiah popped in, breaking my strain of joyful thought.

"Oh I don't know," I answered. "Nothing too embarrassing." ;)

6 comments:

Dana said...

Very Cute- I think we've had this conversation a thousand times and it always comes back to my mom as my best friend- besides the hubby. Too cute... I love that I happened upon your blog a few months back :) Thanks for the smiles

Brandi Bartee said...

This is a great story and truly does make you think. I too have been blessed with many friends throughout my life. But I think my little sister would still be the person I would call my best friend.

Denise said...

I love this post. This is exactly how I feel. There are different people, different varying degrees of friendship, but how could one be the best? I have a bad habit of making everyone my best friend because I tend to be an open book. I feel exactly the same as you and it is such a blessing!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Great post. Now I have my closest friends popping into my mind and what makes each of them my 'best' friend.

Katie said...

Oh what fun! I know I don't comment very often, but I just had to on this post because I know some folks in your mountain photos. I'm a Troy grad and Lindsey and I were sorority sisters there and I was at her wedding! I think I saw Al in there too maybe? If so we worked together there in the Housing office on campus. I love Darby's blog as well and I enjoyed reading both of your posts. Great times, wonderful memories you all made together.
P.S. As the mommy of three little ones, I too enjoy being trapped in the car or really anywhere with my hubs! Those moments are rare ones indeed!

Darby said...

I was trapped in the car with BOOGER MAN... but boy those boys sure can break down a weekend just like a bunch of girls! :)