Thursday, June 4, 2009

Simple as Peanut Butter Pie

I am not a baker. I can do it, but normally I opt out if possible. Jeremiah's Mom and sisters are big time bakers. There are always boocoodles of desserts at their houses, and he grew up eating dessert every night after dinner...we didn't. Frankly, I don't want to start, because if it's THERE big booty will find it and partake. Sometimes I do feel a little bad when I catch Jeremiah hanging forlornly onto the cabinet handles, peering into their depths, and wishing a dessert would materialize. BUT, he just didn't marry a baker.

Saying all of that, I do bake when I take food to other people's houses. It's what people do. You take a meal AND a dessert when someone has a baby. That Mom is normally a milk factory and needs those calories :) That said, this is my go-to when I need a quick dessert to take to somebody. There is no baking involved, it's delicious, and it makes TWO! YAY! That way, at least for a couple of days, my husband doesn't have to be forlorn over his loss of dessert.

Ingredients: 1 (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
2 c. crunchy peanut butter (the recipe only calls for 1 c, but I personally like to run into a peanut in my peanut butter pie, a bit more often than that)
1 (16 oz) Cool Whip
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar (recipe says sifted, but I never do :))
2 (9 in) graham cracker crusts (that's right, I buy them pre-made)
chocolate chips (the recipe says optional, but I think that's ridiculous. Chocolate and peanut butter, the worlds sweetest marriage)

Combine cream cheese and peanut butter in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed until fluffy (with the double peanut butter, it doesn't ever fluff so much). Add powdered sugar and cool whip. Beat until smooth.
Pour into crusts, freeze 8 hours or overnight (I personally like this dessert refrigerated just as well as I do frozen. This helps for those of you, like me, who never think to make a dessert a WHOLE DAY ahead). Decorate with chocolate chips.
Somehow dessert making always leads to spontaneous, joyful, kissing...
Maybe this is why:

Don't worry, I was finished with the mixer. They were just pre-rinsing :)

17 comments:

Gail said...

So sweet...It makes me miss ours! Enjoy the pie..don't worry..you can run it off!

Darby said...

Yum... I think I've had this before made by Mrs. Maddox... at the lake, maybe? Mmmm... I want some now. Too bad I just had a bag of sour patch kids and Reese Cups.

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

I have a very similar recipe... so good. It's my staple dessert to take with a meal when ppl have babies!

Mandy said...

Makes me think of that children's song "My mother is a baker, a baker, a baker..." Yeah, not me either!

Mandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Jernigan's said...

Yummy!! I am on a cooking kick so I am definitely going to try it asap.

Brandi Bartee said...

Thanks for sharing! It looks wonderful. I wanted to ask you about the bloomers on your etsy site. Is this something you will sell to others. I would love to have a diaper cover for ZG with the bee on it and her name. Just let me know what your price would be if you are interested.

Farris said...

Yummy! I have this same recipe and make it for desserts when people have babies. I put Reese's on top of it which is great, too!

kathy said...

Yummy! David will LOVE this (and so will Tim and I). I am always looking for a new dessert. Thanks for sharing!

andi said...

OHHHHHHH delicious! I can't wait to try it out! I love that it's simple and who can beat chocolate and peanut butter!

Anna said...

yum- everyone is on a recipe kick today. you, lauren and darby all posted about food!! And since that's all I think about these days, yall are making me even more hungry!!

Unknown said...

LIcking the batter is the best part! Looking forward to seeing you all this weekend!!

Unknown said...

LIcking the batter is the best part! Looking forward to seeing you all this weekend!!

Beth Goff said...

YUMMY! This looks like something I would LOVE! Thanks for posting.

Melody said...

Girl, I am making this one this weekend. my BIG booty doesn't need it either but I just ordered SLim In 6. Let you know how that goes but I do love a good peanut butter pie. I'll just have to work extra hard to burn it off. i think it will be worth it.

Abby Euten said...

I had to laugh at Jeremiah's peering and longing into the cabinet for something sweet...Matt does the same thing just hoping something will magically appear!!! I always feel bad at those moments, especially if prego happened to eat the last one of something, which happens frequently lately-oops!

Sabrina said...

Thanks for the recipe! I made this and took it to a family reunion at the lake. Everyone loved it!