Sunday, June 14, 2009

Is This Normal Life?

We have had such a sweet Sunday. I haven't griped anymore (on the blog, don't think I haven't griped in real life) about Jeremiah's trauma schedule, since the "Obama on Trauma" blog, but it's been bad. Jeremiah is forever and always optimistic that next week is going to be better...it has to be...but so far his optimism has been dead off. HOWEVER, I promised myself I wouldn't gripe on this blog either...

Today has been a marvellous day. One of those days that has gotten me wondering..."Is this what normal peoples' lives look like?" Jeremiah had to go in and round for a few hours this morning, but he actually managed to squeeze in the pew beside me halfway through the singing in church. It was such a nice surprise! Then we went out to eat at Irondale Cafe, and I bellied up to the meat and three...fried chicken, squash, green beans, macaroni and cheese (but that was for Mary Aplin, not me :)), and a big ol piece of corn bread. On our "Residency Budget," I am afraid these traditional Sunday lunches have been replaced with turkey sandwiches and soup at our house most Sundays, but today I knew my extended family was down in Dothan celebrating my grandparent's 60th wedding anniversary with a meal that could make me melt. I passed a note to Jeremiah in church saying that I might cry if I had to eat a sandwich for lunch again today :), and he was more than happy to give in.

On the way home, post feast, Pace started begging Jeremiah to take her down to the basement (where the sound equipment is) and let her play the guitar and sing with the microphone. She has been missing her Daddy so bad these past couple of months, and I think this was her way of asking to be all alone with him. The weird thing is that both she and Mary Aplin start to be mean to him when he is gone a lot. He comes home from work and (if they are still awake), they run and hide. Then when he finds them, they act pouty. However, as soon as they get more than 10 minutes of his undivided attention, you would think they had sprouted wings. His love brings an animation and spirit to them that my attention can't touch...but when they don't get it, they punish him for his absence. It is scary how innate manipulation seems to be inside little girls :)

We stayed in the study, so that Jeremiah could look up guitar chords on the computer for all of Pace's song requests, but we had the best time playing and singing this afternoon. For me, seeing the delight Pace and Jeremiah were taking from each other was priceless.


After singing, we put the girls down for naps and Jeremiah crashed in our bed while I sat beside him...stitching away. I was so excited that he was getting to nap, that I couldn't have fallen asleep myself. Man did he need it! Finally, Pace and Jeremiah both got out of bed (notice I say "got out of bed" and not "woke up" because Pace is now refusing to nap most days) at about the same time and she asked if they could have a tea party. I wasn't invited, so I got to cook dinner ALL BY MYSELF IN THE KITCHEN (without anybody asking to help or pulling out all of the spoons and Tupperware or fighting at my feet).

After the tea party broke up in the next room, they announced to me that they were going to run sprints on the football field. I waved goodbye to the duo who were so obviously in need of some one-on-one time and like a happy housewife whose casserole is already in the oven, I cuddled with Napoleon in the big girl bed and then took her outside to see where the wind would take us. It was just all so normal, simple, and wonderful. I am sad that I missed my grandparent's anniversary this weekend. I spent a lot of time contemplating whether or not to pack up the girls and head down to Dothan for the day... But I know we needed today, in all its normalcy, we needed it.

13 comments:

Mandy said...

I'm glad you guys had such a great day yesterday! There will be many, many more to come soon! Can you see the light at the end of the tunnel yet? Let's see, one year and about two weeks of residency, then one year of fellowship? Probably can't see it yet, but it's right around the bend. We haven't been done quite a year, but we don't give residency a second thought. We just thought we were miserable. So silly. We didn't make the most of everyday. No excuse not to now!!

Susannah said...

I totally feel you on that "needing the time" when Adam was in law school, he worked during the day and went to school until 10 at night and boy did I miss him. So glad you and the girls had a great day with daddy!

Abby Euten said...

Too sweet! I'm glad ya'll had such a great day. Those simple, "normal" moments are nice.

Lauren said...

Your pictures are precious and I am SO glad that yall had a normal family day!!

Lauren said...

I'm glad y'all had a "normal" day and what a better day than Sunday! We almost went out to eat on Sunday, but had turkey sandwiches at the house instead.:( I am notorious for writing notes in church about where to go out to eat afterwards. Irondale Cafe is always an option, but we go to Surin a lot too!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Abby- So good seeing you Friday night. Wish we could have chatted longer. And I loved reading about your Sunday... One more week of trauma! Then maybe I can actually come keep the girls and the boys will get off in time!

Jen said...

Hey! I just happened to end up on your blog and read your post on "Obama on Trauma" and couldn't agree with you more! My husband finished his OB/GYN residency last year and I felt as though you were in my brain writing down my exact thoughts!!!! How funny!

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you and tell you that it does get a TON better when they get out of residency! The pay is a little better and not only do you get to spend more time together but more importantly they get treated with respect. Just make sure you know EVERYTHING about a practice before you sign the papers to join it. We learned the hard way with our first job out of residency but we just joined a practice in Dothan and Jonathan LOVES it!

God Bless!

Wanting What I Have said...

Hey Abby...we met in Target back around Christmas time...(I believe I introduced myself in the children's clothing section as a "blog stalker")...anyway...

When I read that you ate lunch at the Irondale Cafe, I got a lump in my throat. I can't count how many Sunday's my grandparents treated us to lunch at the Irondale Cafe! I haven't been in years...and I remember my grandfather jokingly throwing a piece of ice at my cousin (at the table) and missing...and hitting an old lady, who did NOT think it was funny...anyway...love those sweet memories and I'm so glad you jarred them!

And so glad y'all had a day of normalcy. What a precious blessing.

Thanks for sharing your life via your blog.

Carly Winborne said...

Thanks for including the little detail about your girls being "mean" to your husband when he comes around after a time away. The exact same thing happens at my house with my little girl. I don't ever think it's an intentional thing, but it's hard to watch happen. And I'm sure my husband's not that crazy about it, either. Glad to know I'm not the only one...

Jenny said...

Abby:
I am so glad that you and your family were able to spend some much needed time together. It looks like it was a wonderful day! I was wondering if you could help me? I just started a blog and am wondering if you can get email alerts when people post comments, rather than checking each day to see if someone has written. Any ideas? You can email me at blackburn.jb@gmail.com. Thanks so much!
Jenny

whitney and allie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
whitney and allie said...

Abby,

We are in Sarah and Brad Armstrong's small group. They brought Mary Evelyn tonight and she had on the cute onesie that you made for her!

All the girls loved it and we made sure to tell them about your Etsy sight!

Have a great week!

Emily T. Holcombe said...

I don't believe we ever actually met, but, we apparently lived around the corner from you while my husband, Paul, went to medical school. We now live in Saint Louis, MO where he is heading into his 4th year of residency (3 more to go). Anyway, someone recommended your blog, and now I know why.....similar paths we seem to have. Maybe someday they'll cross. Glad you had a normal day recently, we have our fingers crossed for one of those soon. Good luck and take care.