Tuesday, January 13, 2009

New Addition!

Meet Locks (short for Sherlock and a play on his beautimus locks of hair)!! I know you were all scared I was pregnant again weren't you :) Locks is our new adopted baby, and we are EXCITED to say the least. Mrs. Linda (Jeremiah's mom) has become something of a dog superhero--her heart bursting at the seams for any dog that is hurt or neglected. So much so that she has become a caretaker/temporary home/mother for around twenty dogs. This puppy is one of her recent rescues.
Our dog Buckley disappeared a little over a year ago. Jeremiah has been itching for a new pup ever since, but I was not so sure. I felt like I had all I could handle with the two girls, and there's something about dog hair in the house that makes my skin crawl. So I've been refusing. THEN, the fact that both of my girls' first words were "dog" and the fact that they could barely contain their excitement every time they saw a little guy, started to scratch at my heart. THEN, Mrs. Linda rescued Locks from being killed, and she started slowly but surely "selling" him to us. It's not a hard sell considering he is so cute that you can't help but laugh every time you look at him. He has this crazy long, beautiful hair and little freckled nose. Dr. Maddox says he looks like a Disney cartoon character--just hard to believe he's even real. He's only 1 and a half, but he lets the girls waller all over him without making a peep of protest, and all around I couldn't help but love him (even though, if I'm honest, I tried not to). We've had Springer Spaniels in the past (Locks is a Cocker), but I was always feeling guilty about our tiny backyard and all the energy I felt like they needed to run off. We're hoping that with this slightly smaller version, running with us will be exercise enough.

So, there was Jeremiah and the girls and Mrs. Linda and the cuteness of this puppy putting the pressure on, but none of that put me over the edge. None of that made me willing to re-devote my life to cleaning up dog hair. I don't know if any of you have experienced this, but about the time my babies start walking, and life gets somewhat manageable, something inside me starts ticking for another helpless creature to "mother." Last time, I ended up with Mapple Dapple. This time (I wised up :) ) I decided to scratch the itch with a puppy instead. I have felt like a little kid about bringing this dog home. I could hardly fall asleep for two nights in a row with all the anticipation. It's been less than 24 hours, but so far he's the most eager to please, follow me around the house and plop down at my feet, makes my girls and my husband bubble with joy dog I could have imagined. Locks, we LOVE you!

18 comments:

Kellie said...

He is beautiful - and I too have a soft spot for "mothering" things. I've already started looking for something "little" since we have a big dog - like a bunny or hamster or something my children can hold - they are the biggest animal lovers - all 3 of them - but do I really have the time - or the patience to clean up after it? BTW, when will 3# come along? Just askin!!!! =)

Farris said...

I'm SO happy you've added another little one to the mix. I, as you know, have a heart for Cockers seeing as we have 2 and couldn't wipe the smile off of my face while reading this! So glad everyone loves him. If he needs a play date Buster and Molli can get the energy out of him in a snap :)

Lauren said...

He is too cute! I cant wait to see pics of him and the girls playing! We have a 5 month old wilder than wild lab and we drain the energy out of him with a laser pointer....Petsmart has them for $5 and it is the best dog toy/energy getter-outter ever!

Darby said...

Oh Locks... you are cute. I can see why she couldn't resist. Now, leave your Locks on your body and not her floor and you all should work out just fine! I'd like to kiss your little freckles!

andi said...

I love that last picture of Locks. What a fun addition. :)

Charlotte said...

Abby,
I am SO jealous~I have been missing my sweet Cocker Tipper for over a year. I hope to meet Locks when you visit.
Charlotte

Kelly said...

Too cute!!! We are planning on getting a dog in the spring. I agree with you on the "mothering" thing---but not one that I have to parent like a child. Good to see you today!

Kendall Boggs said...

I was hoping another baby was on the way!!!!!! Haha! (white shirt)....Anyway, he is the cutest thing I have ever seen, ever! I would have snatched him up in a second!

Louisa said...

Awww, so cute!

Beth Goff said...

We just rescued a golden last week! We had one in CA but when we moved to Myrtle Beach he sayed in CA b/c of BAD thunderstorm anxiety. I too thought I would LOVE life without a dog but that didn't last long. We got Buster from our local golden rescue and he was two days away from death until the golden rescue found him. He is two and such a joy to have around the house!

I too am cleaning up dog hair again! :)

Hicks Family said...

oh my goodness, he is precious. Dogs, and especially pups, have that way of making you smile. Mine know when I'm sad and they will snuggle and kiss away my tears...or when I'm happy they will dance and jump around with me. So much fun. Welcome to the family Locks!

Heather said...

i am with you on the dog hair!

but that is one precious dog!!!!

that is so fun.

erika said...

Locks, your precious face melts my heart! It's amazing how much joy a dog can bring to the family... I am glad you are with the Maddox family, they are a good one and will take great care of you!!
XO

Gail said...

Oh-----How cute is this pup! I always loved, MRS. Linda, and now I am sure as to why! What a heart she has! You and your family are going to have years of nothing but...fun, and love with this new member. My good friend, too, like you, got that itch...Her hubby gave into a new pup...after all he said...It was a lot cheaper and you didn't have to educate it! LOL... Enjoy this ride and many years of love. Glad your heart was open for this one! What a lucky dog to fall into a house of love!!!!!

Gail said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Locks is simply precious!! I don't think you could have gotten a better dog :)

The Williams Family said...

Hey abby this is danielle fletcher williams. just wanted to say hello and let you know that you have made me want my own blog for my family to share there interesting lifes with loved ones that are far away. please visit any time... its: brandondanielletuckeremmaandmaddie.blogspot.com

The Jernigan's said...

I love him!! I am a Mrs. Linda about dogs, but Dan will not let me bring them home. He says that Hicks, our dog, will be too jealous (he is really like s person, so spoiled). Youll love having the company and he will love you more than you know. Dont worry about the dog hair, there is not much a broom or vacumm cant handle. :)