Thursday, October 16, 2008

S*@!

Yep, that title stands for exactly what you think it does...the S-word. In a spirit of keeping it real over here on the Maddox family blog, I'm going to share with you that it's not always "Onesie Wednesday" and "Coffee Into Water." Unfortunately, everything that comes out of my mouth is not pleasing to God and useful for the instruction, encouragement, and admonition of my babies :) Yesterday, I realized that I had forgotten something at the grocery store. It hit me mid-conversation with Jeremiah about something totally different, and I stamped my foot and said, "Dad-gummmit!" Pace, who was sitting on the couch in front of me, jumped up, stamped her foot and said, "S@!#"
Jeremiah and I both wheeled around to look at her and gasped in horror. She could tell by the looks on our faces that the new word she'd decided to try out, did not sit so well with Mommy and Daddy. She buried her face in her hands and refused to look at us or speak. We kept trying to reassure her that she wasn't in trouble, we just wanted to know where she'd heard that word. In the meantime, Jeremiah is looking over her head at me and laughing and shaking his head. I wanted to tell him he was wrong, that she never would have heard that from me, but sadly, I had a different story playing through my mind.

Last week I was driving to Smith's Variety--on a happy errand to pick out birthday paraphernalia for our little birthday girl. Now, I have a tendency to always run late, which I believe has led to the tendency to perpetually drive too fast and follow too closely--even when I'm not running late anywhere. I was on a REALLY curved road (For those of you from Birmingham, I was on the road between English and Mt Brook Village, you know just before you get to the Zoo entrance), and I noticed that the car in front of me began applying their brake. I assumed it was the natural brake touch that anybody would give on a curvy road, but as my big SUV continued barrelling toward their little car, my mind also began to register that their left brake light wasn't lit up and THEREFORE maybe they were making a left turn and not just a little brake tap. The road is so curvy that I couldn't afford to hurl myself into the other lane and risk a head-on collision, so I just slammed down as hard as I could on my brakes and out it came, "S$#!"

As soon as it started, I realized what I was saying, but it was too late. We managed to stop within a breath of that car (Dad I know you are getting ready to call me with a lecture on driving too fast, following too close, and the precious cargo I am carrying--You're right!), and all Pace said was, "Mommy, why were you trying to run into that car? It scared me!" Whew! I thought. She didn't notice. She was too startled by the near accident to register that ugly word I let out. But I was wrong. Here we stood, a full week later, and that word was coming right back out. Just like she absorbs those Bible stories, apparently she absorbs cuss words too.

Once we calmed her down, we explained that it was a REALLY ugly word...even worse than stupid. She cried and said she was sorry. I felt horrible because I'd taught her the dern thing and here she was feeling all guilt-ridden about it. She hasn't said it again. Let's just hope her Mommy can keep her tongue under wraps so that she doesn't get a second lesson on the art of colorful language.

(I wasn't sure if I ever posted any pictures of those first dresses I made. These are them. Try not to notice that Pace's bows are the wrong color and WIRE-rimmed! I thought you might enjoy a shot of her penitent face :))

14 comments:

Brandi Bartee said...

Abby,
I had a similar experience with Granger and he too learned the s-word. I dropped a huge bowl of southern caviar (soaking in gobs of Italian dressing) on the kitchen floor before I delivered Zetta Grace. I immediately without stutter let out the s-word. I didn't think Granger noticed either b/c he kept talking about the big mess. Well, just after I had Zetta Grace and everyone was stopping by for visits Granger decided to use his new word. Everytime he would drop something, he would say the s-word. Everyone kept telling us to not make a fuss over it or he would think it was funny at 17 months. He now says, "Oh Dear!" with a cute British accent thanks to his cute British mother's morning out teacher from last year.
The dresses were precious and so was your story! Natalie (my sister) and I did all of our Christmas shopping last year at that store. Sure do wish we had a store like that in Charlotte with those prices!

Tegan said...

How funny! I'm sure this happens to everyone at some point or another. Love your honesty!!!! Hope all is well and Happy Birthday to Miss Mary Aplin!

Gail said...

Out of mouths of Babes! Don't beat yourself up over this one. You set the record straight and the lesson was learned. Enjoy the ride!!!! LOVED the cute dress.

Abby Euten said...

Well, it's just nice to know that you're human! Ha Ha You're not the only one.

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Hi Abby,
I found your blog and you are such a wonderful writer! And I love this story. I think we all have done that!
I am Hillary Hart and am from Dothan. I know your family through long wind-y ways that are embarrassing to write out in a comment section, but did want to let you know that I was reading and I enjoy it!
Thanks for the great story. Glad to know I'm not the only one whose words aren't always seasoned with salt!

No Longer Newlyweds. said...

Hi Abby,
I'm Sara Skaggs from Dothan. I, too, read your blog on a regular basis. Since Hillary introduced herself, I thought I should as well. =)
I also know your family indirectly. My little brother, Justin, went to HA with Kendall. I think I went to school with your husband somewhere. My mom used to own Southern Stars Gymnastics so most of our connections can be traced back to that.
I'm also cousins with Adam and Aaron Jones. I think Aaron's first girlfriend in highschool was Ashley Maddox. Aren't you related?
Anyway, I love your blog. I just wanted you to know. I'd love to link it to my blog if you wouldn't mind. Let me know!
Keep up the good work! You are an amazing mom.

Lindsey said...

elle said the f-word just a few weeks ago. she was watching PBS and they were doing rhyming and she decided to come up with her own rhymes. i almost died when i heard that come out of her little mouth! (not that i haven't let a few things slip every now and then). thanks for sharing. very cute dresses!

Kendall Boggs said...

oh Abbs!! That is so funny!! I remember when Gregory was about 3. I was taking he and his friend to pre-school. I was going way too fast, drinking a diet coke, and talking on those huge cell phones that we had. I slammed on the breaks and out it came S...Well, I said "I'm so sorry boys!! I shouldn't have said that" so Andrew proceeds to say "my mommy says S...and then Gregory say's "no my mommy says S... better! they then get into this huge fight over who's mommy says S... better. I'm trying not to laugh but realized I needed to clean up my potty mouth!! Great blog. You're so real girl! See ya next weekend! K

Beth Goff said...

I had to laugh! The same thing happens in our house hold! Not the S word yet but I say "crap" all the time! Karoline has picked up it too many times!

Kellie said...

Thanks for your honesty - too funny! The previous post was so endearing - Happy Birthday Mary Aplin! Love you Abby!

Heather said...

Abby,
That is my word too. And, I'm sad to say that I have said it in front of my kids on more than one occasion.

They forgive us .... but, the story is hilarious.

I'm not sure if you ever read my blog ... but there was one entry I wrote one time about my daughter ... who loves to sing the Banana Fana song ... b/c her name is "Annie" .. people sing it to her all the time.

Not good when your OTHER chid's name is TUCKER.

Um ... and she just stayed on that one darn word ..s aying it over and over ... "mommy, I like Tucker *ucker hte best ...."

Nice.

HH

Unknown said...

Ab that is good stuff. miss you guys. just spent sometime catching up on a few of your entries. Let J know, he has asked me several times lately if I had and i have had to say no. Love ya T

andi said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!! Great post!

Anonymous said...

This just cracks me COMPLETELY UP! I know I surely got in trouble the first time I said something that I had heard off of the TV (The D-word)!

Beautiful dresses by the way!! You can make my future childrens clothes any day! ;)