Sunday, February 27, 2011

Trip to Dothan

The girls were absolute angels for their first airplane trip. I felt like they were old pros.
DSC_0026

And besides the fact that I got "felt up" by airport security (Have any of y'all had that happen?! I've heard the jokes but I was not prepared for the, um, intensity and thoroughness. I could not stop laughing the whole time. I was totally inappropriate.) for the sippy cup in my carry-on, the whole experience was uneventful...even fun.
DSC_0028

This little baby was marvelous. Thank you for your prayers. I feel sort of ridiculous now about how anxious I was.
DSC_0034

It's hard to describe how wonderful it felt to be. home. I stopped in for a visit with my friends in our old neighborhood. I love when familiarity rolls over you like it never skipped a breath.

IMG_9827_2

On our way out of town, Bryan asked us to drop by his studio for him to try out some new lights he'd gotten for taking natural-looking photographs (It was way more technical than that, but that's the gist of what I came away with). We looked a bit bedraggled after a hard day of playing, but I never miss an opportunity to be a part of a A Bryan Photo. He is so awesome. You can see a few of his shots of the girls here. Thank you Bryan! It was a blast and an honor, as always.

Then, we headed down to Dothan. All my sisters came home for the weekend, along with their husbands/boyfriend. This was the first time in a really, really long time, that we've all been under one roof... It felt bizarrely wonderful and normal. Although normal is not what comes to mind here:
DSC_0100
Watson was leading everybody in a football workout in the front yard.

I smiled when I saw this rolling by the house. Not something I've seen a whole lot of in Seattle :)
DSC_0101

Kendall tried to drop a subtle hint or two to the only remaining "boyfriend" in the group.
DSC_0105

I'm not sure he took it quite the way she wanted him to ;)
DSC_0103

Sometimes my camera gets hi-jinked. I'm not sure what Taylor was trying to capture here, but I know what it captured for me, "Oh my! Look, there are boys in the backyard with Dad!" It still feels surreal to see the men we all hoped would come one day, be real in this day.
DSC_0124

I spent much of the time doing this:
DSC_0136
On the phone with Jeremiah, the only one missing to make the joy complete, trying to describe all the houses I'd been seeing.

On Saturday, Dr. Maddox invited our whole big Clark family crew to come out to the farm for a horse drawn wagon ride through the woods.
DSC_0137

And they weren't just any horses. Meet Heidi and Maggie:
DSC_0138

Two of the cutest Clydesdale horses you'll ever meet.

DSC_0141

They're both rescue horses.
DSC_0204

And my girls couldn't resist a little time on their backs, despite the availability of a perfectly good wagon.
DSC_0166

'Ol girls had quite a heavy load to carry. This isn't even everybody. A total of TEN adults and two chicken wings. Keke baby, we're not in New York.
DSC_0201

These guys were staying far away from us. Who could blame them? I wouldn't have wanted to be strapped to our raucous party either.
DSC_0145

Dapples and Popon "hemmed and hawwed" us together for a bit.
DSC_0148

DSC_0170

There was something magnificent about seeing these girls work their way through rough cut wooded trails. They seem like they should be clipping across pavement through a parade. Instead, it felt like we were using them in the way they were made to be used.
DSC_0180

Until we wore them out, utterly and completely.
DSC_0198

And hopped out and walked for a while to give them a much needed break.
DSC_0197

Sashey met us after the ride, so we could meet Coco...
DSC_0206

...her new friend who she's trying to train to barrel race.
DSC_0209

On their first ride, Coco apparently stopped to try and drink water off the top of the barrel. She's come a long way!
DSC_0211

We also celebrated my Dad's 53rd birthday!!!
DSC_0212

My Dad with his brother, Uncle Alan. Does anybody else see George W?
DSC_0227

We had a huge crowd of extended family, and my Aunt Sheila prepared a Mexican fiesta to satisfy my Mexican-loving heart. Unfortunately, I blanked out on taking pictures. Thankfully, Caroline snapped a few for us.
DSC_0220

Grandma and Grandpa made their famous homemade icecream.
DSC_0233
I looked at a lot of really wonderful potential homes while we were in Dothan. I'm still excited about what God's going to do...but He hasn't done it yet. I thought He was gonna, but apparently he didn't get my memo with the schedule ;)

This was my lap on the plane ride home. We're all feeling pretty drained, but thankful for sweet family, friends, and home.
DSC_0264

11 comments:

Konie said...

Great pics of a fun weekend! Looking forward to your next trip:)XOXO

Brooklyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brooklyn said...

I love your blog and all the pictures! We started taking our new puppy to see your Dad and then my mom-in-law (Melissa Jackson) mentioned she reads your blog every day...so now I'm hooked!

Kellie said...

What a fun weekend - I know it must have been hard to get back on that plane!!!! I hope God shows you soon where He wants you to be!!! :)

Caitlin said...

so lovely to see a glimpse of your trip and home! cant wait to hear more about it...perhaps over some tea ;)

Kendall Clark said...

ABBBBBBYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! I am so embarrassed...l am blushing and no one is around. I guess all the credit I thought I had stored up from your "oh so subtle hand gesturing to your throat behind Jeremiah's back when asked if we wanted to tag along on y'alls date" and saying no despite my inner yes was all used up. hahah I am going to kill you!

Nancy said...

I don't even know you & I'm excited for Alabama to get you back! Those horses are BEAUTIFUL!!!

kendall boggs said...

WOW! thank you for a trip down "memory lane"!

Darby said...

Am I going to be the only vain commentor that will say.... I love your straight hair, Abby! :) Ok, and I love the rest of this post too... except for the fact that I didn't make it because I didn't get to see you and your babies... but we'll fix that soon! :) Glad you're back safe & sound!!!!

xoxo D

Gail said...

Sweet Girl, I so miss Dothan! Thank you for sharing the wonderful, and fun PIC's. I think...they only must "check" you young, cute, girls..I seem (thank God :O)) to waltz through those airline checks..I will see...I fly out this Sunday! LOL..Did you find your home!!!! I can't wait to learn where!

Jamie Wilson said...

Hi Abby.... My name is Jamie Wilson, I live in Tampa, FL but moving to Bham and I am from there. I had a friend that follows your blog and she told me about a post you did in 2010 about all your favorite places in Seattle. My husband and I are actually going to Seattle in 1 week and we are so excited! Could you tell me what month you made that post so that i can look it up. I would really appreciate it. WE are looking forward to the trip! Here is my email address (and blog). Email: jamiewhatley@msn.com
Blog: http://watchasthewilsonfamilygrows.blogspot.com/