Friday, March 20, 2009

Little Less Talk, and a Lot More Pictures

I have been spending every free moment for the past week, working on that little jumper, and I am still not finished. I think that my grandmother could have made an entire wedding dress in the same amount of hours it has taken me to construct the "simple" (as the mean Frannie Baby pattern keeps pointing out to me) jumper. In my defense, I have never made corded piping or done a full liner in a dress, and all my pattern said was, "attach corded piping." Oh, OK! I thought. Thanks for all the stinkin' help! I proceeded to watch You-Tube videos and read other advice on about.com (can you believe You-Tube even has sewing videos??), made tons of errors (with the lining more than the piping) and have ripped out a lot of seams. I feel like I've grown quite proficient at seam ripping :)


On to a slightly greater success story...I started these little numbers almost a year ago, and I have JUST finished them/taken them to get monogrammed. Pace's is going to be more like a shirt than a dress by this point :) In order to sew (without a sewing room), I either have to let the house go, make a big mess, and just do it OR leave it all down in the basement until the urge takes me again. Obviously, the urge hasn't taken me in a while, but since it did and since I had to go pick these finally finished dresses up in Homewood...
We decided to make a little trip to Homewood park! This child will not, under any circumstance, keep her left shoe on her foot, but look at what a little gymnast she is.

And this one too.

Look who else came with us to the park--Aunt Caroline! She really was a sweet sister to come spend the morning playing with us. Especially since she and Dad took the girls to the zoo for half the day yesterday to let me have some alone time (and some time with that wretched sewing machine). THANK YOU!!!!! Does anybody else do this? Kill two birds with one stone by putting BOTH of your children in the same baby swing? It sure is a lot easier than trying to push two different swings, and they love it (even though it's not looking like it in this picture). After play time, it was off for Friday's Special at Tazikis. If you haven't partaken, then you are sadly missing out. They really do ONLY serve it on Fridays though. Don't go in on Thursday thinking you're going to weasel it out of them--I've tried :)
Dapples and her grilled cheese.

Just in case any of you were getting ready to post an "aren't you a good, crafty mom" comment, I'd like to leave you with this.

Ummm, yep. Those are BREAKFAST dishes still on our table at 2:30 this afternoon. Congealed oatmeal in the bowl and all. Not one bed is made, and I just remembered that I forgot to feed Locks this morning. ARGHHH!!

10 comments:

Abby Euten said...

Well, you are human. It just really wouldn't have been fair had you sewn dresses, gone to the park, out to eat and all with a clean house!

Lydia said...

Thanks for sharing your breakfast area! Makes me feel better. Some days I just don't feel like I can get it all together...and I only have one child! Don't see how you do it.
I have found the youtube sewing videos to be more helpful than most other resources! It's been a great tutorial for so many sewing related things.
Have a great weekend!

Robin said...

Dirty dishes can wait and wait..Those babies need some cute clothes whipped up by their MAMA..At the age of 53, I have made my first sewing project.It was fun ! I made Brooks three pair of shorts and am dying to get a sewing machine now !

Melissa said...

good news...the friday special is also their saturday special! i just discovered that last year and it's great knowledge to be equipped with.

yum!

Darby said...

Abby... Frannie is NOT EASY! Those patterns love to make you feel dumb. It took me forever and a trip to Tami's to figure it out! Glad y'all are enjoying the sunshine!!!

Kellie said...

Exactly the reason I haven't picked up sewing yet!!!!

Lindsey said...

awesome job on the sewing! the few things i've done have taken me just as long, if not longer. and i'm a pretty great seam ripper too:). i've decided to put all my stuff up for awhile... seeing as how in about 11 weeks, i'll have a 4 year old, 22 month old and a newborn?! maybe in another year i can bring it all back out. steven and i LOVE the friday special at tazikis--we just don't get to go there that much anymore. hope ya'll are having a fun weekend!

Anonymous said...

The dresses are so cute. I'm impressed. When we move south, I'm going to take a sewing class, I'm dying to learn how to sew better. Good idea putting 2 children in one swing, I'll have to try that when it gets warm here: ). Hope y'all are doing great.

The Allen Family said...

okay, so i feel a "little" bit better now knowing that you aren't totally perfect after all. but, you are definitely a WONDERFUL mother!! i'm impressed with your sewing projects!!! too cute :)

andi said...

I am so glad you put the picture of the kitchen in there! You are so wise Abby!!!!!
I love the dresses!!!! I hope one day I am an aunt to some little girls!!!! I would love nothing more than to make a sweet dress. Of course, I don't do instructions well, so I'll have to call you!!! Hope you are doing well.
PS- do you find with your front loader washer your clothes wrinkle? Mine do terribly.