Monday, May 26, 2008

Oh the Places I've Been!

As of next weekend, I will have been out of town 8 out of 8 weekends--each trip with, usually both, but at least one girl. In the past month, I have experienced some major life events and all I have shared with you is that crazy day I was trying to make it to a kitchen shower. So, this blog is a quick catch-up.
One of my dearest friends, Lauren, gave birth to the newest baby in our neighborhood clan--Georgia Jane Brooks. She entered this world at a whopping 9'14"! This is Caroline (the little Mother of our street), Natalie (lovingly referred to as "Danger Girl"), and Georgia (Mary Aplin's newest cohort) Brooks in ABryanJohnson Photo.I was honored to be the Matron of Honor at the wedding of Whitney (my best friend since second grade) and Cole. It was a beautiful wedding of two very special people, and it was a day I'd been helping to plan for almost 20 years. There is something magical about standing beside two people you love, and witnessing God mesh their lives into one. It always makes me catch my breath, and gives me a strange feeling--like I'm being allowed to peek over the hedgerow and catch a glimpse of the perfect union we're all going to experience with Christ one day.
I experienced my first Mother's Day without my Mother. Several of you have been kind enough to ask me about how that day was for our family. It had its hard moments. Honestly, I think it was harder on my Dad than any of us. I had to drive back to Birmingham from Dothan, and that alone time in the car, with two sleeping girls and nothing but silence and my thoughts...was less than desirable.
My grandma (Mom's mom) turned 80 and we celebated her birthday with a beautiful and delicious lunch at my Aunt Alice's house. I cherish her so much, and it was fun to celebrate her life.I turned 26!
I helped to host a baby shower for one of my best friends from college--Jessica! She is the first of my college friends to take this plunge into babydom with me, and I am very excited to have somebody else join the ranks.

I saw my husband off on a trip to Montana with his brother, Josh. They stayed with Mrs. Ohs, their Mountain Mama, and nearly died camping out in a snowstorm on a mountain, when they were dressed for 80 degree weather.

I took Pace and Mary Aplin to the beach, and it was M'Apple's first beach experience. Caroline (my sister) and her boyfriend Riley went with us. They were a huge help, lots of fun, and it was great to grow closer to them both.


I went on a surprise trip with my Dad and sisters....It turned out to be a flight to Phoenix, AZ where Taylor got ENGAGED!!!!!!!!! It was oh so magical, and I plan to blog about the whole experience next time.
Finally, next weekend my baby sister, Kendall, is graduating from high school.
I feel like I need all of next month to sleep off the last two :)

8 comments:

Robin said...

You have been really busy. I think of you so much. Robin

Anonymous said...

Its good to know that you are still alive!! I have been waiting patiently for your next blog, and hope you write another one soon!!

Tegan said...

WOW! I'm tired just reading about your eight weekends. I've been thinking of you so much lately. I can't wait to catch up soon. I have so much to fill you in on. Thanks for blogging and I can't wait to read the post on Taylor's engagement! It sounds like it will be awesome! You look awesome in all of your pics! Two babies????!!!!

Denise said...

I've been waiting for this post. Mitzi called on saturday to tell me about Taylor's engagement. Such a sweet story and so sweet that your dad took you to all be there together.

Unknown said...

Crazy that Rachel and Taylor got engaged the same weekend!! I got the short version from your grandmother, but she couldn't remember all the details. Can't wait to hear more about it! So happy for both of them!

Anonymous said...

My goodness! You've been so busy, but I'm sure you had a blast staying on the go. Happy belated birthday! Wayne and I are coming home June 6th for a week, we'd love to see y'all. I'll call you soon. Congratualtions to Taylor: )!

Anonymous said...

got to be tough facing the holiday without your mother, but I am sure that your 2 little ones helped ease that pain. you seem so strong about everything. don't let someone else steal your joy with unkind comments. keep it up, enjoy reading your blog. fellow dothan, al hometown (used to be) resident.

Mitzi said...

Love the pictures. Thank you for taking the time.
Mitzi